Monday, November 28, 2005

[SEA games part 1: high]

Seeing the Opening Ceremonies of the South East Asian Games was something I never thought I'd be able to experience at the start of the sem. The music, performed by the San Miguel Philharmonic Orchestra, Chorale and Rivermaya was simply beautiful as well as the costumes, dances and display of Pinoy culture.

The Quirino Grandstand was packed yesterday, but being there was well worth all the trouble (as Eco-Waste Philippines volunteers - imagine our horror when we saw just how much trash had to deal with); All the cute chics err.. delegates from all the participating countries (especially Vietnam. I have found new love for this country), the fireworks (wow), the torch-lighting, and seeing in person great Filipino legends like Paeng Nepumoceno, Lydia de Vega, and Manny Pacquiao among others (Angel Locsin as the most unexpected).

Working as a SEA Games volunteer wasn't so bad after all. I'm actually enjoying it more than I expected, especially being assigned today to the Wushu competitions in the Emilio Aguinaldo College (near UP Manila). Although we missed the Forms competitions (was looking forward to seeing crouching tigers and hidden dragons), the Wushu sparring matches made up for it. Watching the Philippine team OWNING was absolute coolness (as well as seeing the ladies from Vietnam again, heh).

I'm almost sorry I went back to Los Banos (may pasok na bukas) instead of just ditching class for (just) one whole week. And I curse myself for having second thoughts before I submitted my application papers a few weeks before - how could I have let myself think of passing this up?

I'm still feeling euphoric. I am currently high with National Spirit.

I can't wait for my next shift this Friday and Saturday for the Arnis Competitions. I have a good feeling we're going to own this again.

2 comments:

Nikki! said...

Wala ka sa opening dito sa LB. Astig din fireworks display sa Trace, na kitang-kita namin sa Rhoda's! ^_^

Drew said...

oo Nikki, wala nga ako nun :D hehe