Saturday, March 18, 2006

[howl's moving castle]


I've already seen the movie before (a few months ago), but just now I just finished watching it again - in English dubbing this time! (Batman! and Billy Crystal! San ka pa!?).

It's been a while since I've last seen, or rather, experienced such a "magical" feeling after watching a movie, an RPG or after reading a story (FFIX was one RPG that ended magically as well). You feel lightheaded, you're suddenly optimistic, and you generally feel good. Howl's Moving Castle is one movie that does that to you. It's already a great movie with just that and being a movie from Studio Ghibli and directed by THE Hayao Miyazaki should be enough to convince to watch this ASAP.

But of all the Ghibli movies I've seen so far (and I've already seen most of them; Mononoke, Graveyard of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, Totoro, Kiki's among others), Howl's is now my favorite.

Graveyard of the Fireflies is just too sad (and somewhat pointless IMO) and I never liked it. On the other hand, I DID like Kiki's Delivery Service, which was a joyride where nothing can go wrong from start to finish, and My Neighbor Totoro which is one of those animated movies I saw as a kid and is full of so many childhood memories.

Princess Mononoke and Howl's is kind of "tied" to first place for me. But the tiebreaker here is, I guess - although Princess Mononoke is the best Ghibli movie to write about, and San and Ashitaka is undoubtedly one of the best, no coolest (and kick-ass I should add) Ghibli leads ever... there's just something about Howl, Sophie and Calcifer that I like so much (maybe it's because of the characters being so likeable despite their flaws or something like that, especially Howl).

My views have changed in recent years. These days I'm more concerned about the simple things and I find myself not bothering anymore about politics or philosophy or any of the "deep stuff." I guess that's the difference I see between Howl and Mononoke, and the justification for my preference. It's the simplicity of the message Howl's Moving Castle wants across, that "hearts change" and love endures (no matter how cliched it may sound..). It's because of some of the things that Mononoke lacked... like a real "magical" happy ending, or Mononoke being too political. It's because of Howl's offering you, not questions of ethics like Mononoke, but questions of well... the kind that have something to do with love. It isn't trying to make you think, but it's trying to make you feel.

Howl's is based on the book with the same name written by Diana Wynn Jones, and although it's nothing like (and according to one review, "obscenely different") the original source material, it's a masterpiece, your classic love story with a great and enchanting plot with so much imagery and artistry (it leaves you breathless), imperfect but loveable characters and a happy ending.

No comments: