Sunday, October 09, 2005

[posc141 and the completely pointless personality quiz]

I recently wrote a 14 page paper on Open Source Software for my POSC141 class (kung saan kaklase ko yung isa sa aking mga kras sa campus. ...forgot the course title, something about Political Ideologies and Philippine Politics). We were supposed to pick a certain government policy, criticize it and argue for or against it using whatever political ideology (or ideologies) we saw fit.

Two months ago I told my instructor I'd be writing about foreign trade policies (first thing that came to mind then - I don't even know the first thing about foreign trade policy). I start my actual research on the paper two months later, 3 days before the deadline. Desperate.. I do the first thing I do when desperate, I surf the net aimlessly - and eventually come across the Completely Pointless Personality Quiz from our Skewed Studios forums.

It's funny how a completely pointless quiz gave me the answer to all my problems. A day before the deadline (Monday, Oct. 3), I asked permission from my instructor to change my topic from Whatever foreign trade policies to the Optical Media Act of 2003, Open Source Software and ...whatever works.

Pumayag naman siya (LOL). And poof! POSC141 paper. 14-page paper in 12 hours (of course Marck can probably cough up a bigger paper in less time but c'mon! give me some credit here). Anyway, it all turned out well (passed my paper 5 minutes late of the deadline), the paper was great, the defense was even better and thanks to the Tux, I've developed a new love for the Open Source Software movement - now I know why I hate Bill Gates so much.

Wala lang.. little succes stories like this just make me feel better about this sem's (less than satisfactory) academic performance. Doomed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah! i can make a 14 page paper in 2 hours, man. :D

btw: same topic din pala tayo on open source software, only mine was, well, (cough) 41 pages long.

Drew said...

pucha. pero astig nga, amazing how many political ideologies you can fit into OSS.