Friday, May 27, 2005

[the saga is complete. finally]

Just got back from Isabela. From my grandfathers funeral (they have the strangest funeral customs. but maybe next time..). Anyway, I just saw Starwars Episode III (upu. ngayon ko lang naponuud) and (haha) I wasn't disappointed at all. I wasn't disappointed at all because I didn't expect it to be a good movie in the first place :)

The script was ...like something from a really old comic book. Or an anime dubbed in English by Cartoon Network. It was cheesy (I wanted to say horrible but well...). Then again I didnt expect it to be good anyway. I mean.. Obi wan: "wait a minute, this isn't right. We're supposed to be smarter than this." -> Dude, you're a Jedi Master, you're supposed to sound smarter than that. Padme: "...Anakin, you're breaking my heart..", and then theres Anni-boy's lines, don't get me started with his lines. Even if he was already being called "Lord Vader" by the end of the movie, he'll still be the stupid gullible and disturbed Anakin Skywalker to me. Darth Vader used to be cool, but after watching this, I'll never be able to look at Vader the same way again. There's also something about Obi Wan describing Anakin's condition as "being in a lot of stress". Mali e, sabi nga ni Celsus. Ganito na lang, Obi wan: "he's acting strange. must be the Darkside of the Force creeping up his mind. but then again I could be wrong - it's probably just stress. Maybe we should take him to a therapist."

The script sounded so cheesy I felt like I was watching the old Starwars movies again. But then maybe that's what they really intended (this would explain Anakin's 70's hairdo). Pero yun nga... it was supposed to be the last installment in the Starwars Series. the Last. the episode that would complete the Saga. I wanted to expect something better than the previous installments but couldn't. And it's a good thing I didn't kundi nabadtrip lang siguro ako.

I give this movie a 3 out of 5. But out of respect to one of the biggest founders of modern Sci-Fi and special effects I'll give a 3.5 out of 5, Or maybe I'll just give it a 3.75 because I think that swordfights with katanas or lightsabers or bastard swords are always the "good stuff" in movies. Especially ones with Yoda :D because Yoda is cool.

About the swordfights... I swear, that little disarm (literally) move Anakin did on Count Dooku was an arnis disarm. It was the fulcrum disarm thing (disarm number ..something. can't remember). Yoda vs. Sidius wasn't as cool as I had expected it to be. Throwing levitator thingies at your opponent is not cool. Dooku had it right when he said that "we should settle things with our skills with a lightsaber." The Anakin vs. Obi wan duel, on the other hand, was good. But it just took too long to finish. I liked how something as simple and as basic as the concept of "higher ground" proved to be the undoing of Vader-boy. Upstart Sith was too full of himself. In arnis, one of the dumbest things you can do in a match is to jump straight at your opponent. It's a strong attack if it hits but it leaves you prone to counterattack. All your opponent has to do is slash you across the torso (or head) in mid-air while sidestepping.
...and Mace Windu! Mace windu kicks ass! damn you Anakin for killing the coolest Jedi that ever lived.

Speaking of swordfights, "Batman Begins" features a Bruce Wayne who studied kenjutsu. hmm... good stuff. (Ra's Al Ghul pa kalaban. iaijutsu duel na to)

Anyway, that's it for my review. Next time: strange funeral customs and the hobbit lifestyle. Sarap sa probinsya.

No comments: